The ELEGOO Neptune 4 Max is the most important 3D printer that I reviewed. With a large 420*420*480mm construct quantity, you possibly can print large fashions directly with out the necessity to glue a number of elements collectively. The Klipper firmware can even be a primary for me. Klipper is a complicated open-source 3D printer software program developed by KevinOConnor that permits you to print quicker and extra precisely than Merlin or others.
I’m not a 3D printer skilled like Uncle Jessy, so this assessment is written extra from the attitude of a typical person who usually prints all types of issues wanted round the home. I primarily use PLA and TPU filaments, however some purposeful elements require stronger CF filaments with the next melting level. Most entry-level 3D machines attain 260° Celsius, which is inadequate for industrial-grade supplies. The Neptune 4 Max’s hot-end has a 60-watt heating ingredient with a brass heating block to permit as much as 300 °C nozzle temperature.
Final yr, I examined two fashions of the Neptune 3 collection, which additionally had three construct quantity choices. Along with the upper nozzle temperature and quicker printing velocity, the operation system is essentially the most vital distinction between the Neptune 4 and three collection. The N3 runs on Merlin, and the N4 runs on Klipper. As a result of superior cooling system put in behind the print head, the construct quantity of the Neptune 4 collection is barely smaller than its predecessors – the Z-axis is shorter by 1.5-2cm.
Neptune 4 Max 3D printer assessment
I obtained the Neptune 4 Max final week. ∞Elegoo moreover included a 1 kg spool of PLA check filament. I obtained a pattern unit from the primary batch that arrived in Europe, so I can not assure that you’re going to get a product that performs the identical as in my article.
Once I noticed the massive field (79x69x27 cm), I spotted it was not an workplace desk printer. It’s an enormous and heavy machine. The cardboard packaging crumpled fairly badly in the course of the transport, however fortunately, because of the thick foam padding, the printer remained intact inside. Once I confirmed the package deal had arrived, they despatched me the most recent firmware information and directions on upgrading the machine.
Elegoo is targeted on offering easy-to-use printers out of the field, together with all the required equipment and instruments to be up and run in only one hour from unboxing. Along with the labeled screw luggage and IKEA-style printed step-by-step meeting directions, ELEGOO offers a video information on the USB stick.
The machine consists of two most important elements (base unit and Z-axis gantry) that you should assemble utilizing the included screws and instruments. Two further aluminum tie rods are on the again for the Z-axis gantry, which makes the construction extra strong. The print head, cooling unit, and spool holder additionally must be put in by the person. All of the connectors and sockets are labeled for straightforward wiring. In entrance, there’s a small drawer to retailer upkeep instruments and spare nozzles.
Large measurement. Not an workplace desk 3D printer
The picture under reveals the numerous measurement distinction between the Neptune 3 Professional and the Neptune 4 Max. You’ll need about 100x90x75cm (HxDxW) area to function this machine comfortably. The 3D printer itself measures roughly 658x632x740mm and weighs greater than 18kg.
Along with the highest LED bar that illuminates the whole print space, it has an extra LED on the print head that immediately illuminates the nozzle that may usually be in shadow.
Filament run-out sensor and power-loss restoration for large prints
A filament run-out sensor is included within the field and must be put in on the highest between the filament spool and the print head. This function is a must have for large-scale 3D printers, the place you usually want to make use of multiple 1kg spool to complete the challenge. For instance, a Mandalorian Helmet with helps requires 1450 grams of fabric and shut to 2 days to print. The Neptune 4 Max additionally options power-loss restoration, which suggests it should proceed the print job after energy is recovered.
Neptune 4 Max: Print head
The print head on the Neptune 4 Max consists of a proximity dual-gear direct driver extruder, a 60-watt heating ingredient with a brass heating block, three cooling followers, a 0.4mm nozzle, and an auxiliary LED mild. To deal with as much as 300 °C temperatures, it makes use of an all-titanium alloy throat pipe.
The print head attaches to the Z-axis utilizing three screws from the again and two from the entrance.
Once I loaded my filament for the primary time, and it began to purge, a distinct shade materials got here out, proving that Eleggo examined the unit earlier than delivery it out.
Neptune 4 Max: Heated print mattress with PEI sheet and 121 factors ABL
It takes a couple of good minutes until the mattress reaches 60 °C, which is required by PLA and different forms of filaments. Whereas I used to be ready for the printing to start out, due to the loud noise of the followers, I had the sensation that I used to be sitting in a airplane with all of the generators on, ready to take off :).
The heated platform measures 420x420cm (usable space) and has a 320W heating ingredient and 6 leveling knobs beneath. The PEI sheet is much like those used throughout the Neptune 3 and Neptune 4 collection. Most filaments persist with it effectively, and eradicating the mannequin is simple; you have to bend it a bit, and it’ll pop off.
Along with handbook mattress leveling, the Elegoo N4 Max options 11×11 automated mattress leveling (ABL). To examine and compensate for the flatness of the platform in all 121 factors takes a couple of minutes. Word: DO NOT run ABL with out the PEI sheet!
Neptune 4 Max: Is that quick?
Sure! If you put it to work, even with closed eyes, you realize this printer is far quicker than most hobbyist machines. It makes a noise like a hardworking bee on steroids :). The auxiliary cooling unit additionally provides further noise to the system, making it very loud.
By default, the printing velocity of the Neptune 4 Max is ready to 250mm/s, however in response to Elegoo, it might go as much as 500mm/s. By comparability, my present printer’s velocity could be adjusted between 50 and 180mm/s. From the N4 Max’s management panel, you possibly can toggle between three working modes (Silent, Regular, and Sport) and regulate print velocity inside 0-500%.
I did a couple of assessments at numerous speeds. I observed that growing from 125mm/s to 250mm/s doesn’t scale back the job time by half as you’d count on. The identical occurred once I elevated the velocity from 250mm/s. The general run time turns into shorter however not twice as quick. As an alternative, I observed seen high quality degradation at increased speeds -of course, this may increasingly fluctuate in response to the complexity (geometry) of the printed mannequin. To work on 250-500mm/s additionally requires extra correct mechanical changes (leveling and belt tensioning).
Throughout my assessments, I observed that at excessive speeds, it’s vulnerable to layer shifting. For my part, max velocity is nice for prototyping, however not in case you favor high quality.
One other factor nobody talks about when printing at prime velocity is that shifting elements corresponding to belts, bearings, rails, and rollers will put on out a lot quicker than doing it at regular velocity.
Neptune 4 Max: Connectivity and file switch choices
Elegoo’s newest large-scale 3D printer additionally excels by way of connectivity. On the suitable facet is an RJ45 connector for wired connectivity and a tiny rubber ducky antenna for the wi-fi WIFI controller. The print information could be loaded into the machine by way of a USB port from a reminiscence stick or remotely by way of an internet browser. The online interface could be accessed by means of the IP handle assigned by your own home router. Apart from gcode file add, the web UI offers distant management over the machine, permitting to regulate parameters corresponding to:
- Motion Management: management the motion of every axis and may set compensation after leveling
- Fan and Output: management to activate the printhead fan and lighting
- Printer Restrict: the utmost acceleration management of the printer
- Temperature Show: show the machine temperature heating situation, and the preheating printhead temperature and sizzling mattress temperature could be set prematurely.
The Neptune 4MAX additionally has a Kind-C port to attach it on to your pc utilizing a USB cable.
Pricing, availability, and choices
Beginning in September 2023, the Neptune 4 Max could be ordered from Elegoo’s official retailer for $470 or from their Amazon retailer. For quicker order processing, they’ve six regional warehouses (US, CA, AU, JP, UK, and EU). In keeping with your location, because of the restricted shares and excessive demand, the package deal will likely be shipped out in November or December. The N4 Max can be obtainable in combo packs with included 1KG or 2KG filament.
Elegoo Neptune 4 Max: Who’s for?
If you wish to print giant objects corresponding to wearable cosplay masks or ornament gadgets, the Neptune 4 Max is the perfect bang in your buck 3D printer, round $500. It is usually nice for individuals who need to print a number of gadgets concurrently. By comparability, you possibly can print at the very least 100 little buddhas concurrently on the N4P (40x40cm) or 32 ones on a typical 23x23cm machine just like the N3Pro. The wonder is that, because of the increased printing velocity, the 100 prints will likely be finished concurrently utilizing two or three 50-100mm/s machines.
I can’t lie that the Neptune 4 Max is for everybody. The massive construct quantity comes with its issues. First, you’ll need a devoted room for this printer and a technical rack for set up. Common workplace desks that do not need de obligatory measurement. Putting in it in a dwelling area shouldn’t be an choice because of the noise this machine makes on high-speed printing. The massive 40x40cm heated mattress requires extra power and time to warmth as much as the specified temperature than common 23x23cm platforms. Throughout summer season, in small areas, the 320W heating ingredient will elevate the room temperature, requiring further cooling.
- [Powerful Klipper-enabled hardware for light-speed printing] The versatile 1.5 GHz ARM 64-bit quad-core processor allows spectacular printing speeds of as much as 500mm/s (default 250mm/s) and as much as 8000mm/s2 accelerations, supporting superior options corresponding to enter shaping and stress advancing. Acceleration sensors on the X and Y axes to take care of print high quality by automated calibration.
- [Up to 300 °C for high-temperature materials] The hotend has a 60-watt heating ingredient with a brass heating block to permit as much as 300 °C nozzle temperature. It has automated calibration of the nozzle PID parameters for exact and fixed temperature management. It makes use of an all-titanium alloy throat pipe to deal with the excessive temps.
- [Spacious build volume] The spectacular construct quantity of 420 x 420 x 480 mm opens new potentialities for creating distinctive objects in beforehand unattainable dimensions. Whether or not you need to print a big mannequin or batch manufacturing of smaller gadgets, the N4 Max has sufficient area in your work.
- [Auto Bed Leveling + Auxiliary Leveling] With 121 (11×11) factors auto mattress leveling, you possibly can obtain constant and dependable prints each time with out the necessity for handbook mattress leveling. Moreover, the auxiliary leveling by hand-twist knobs permits for additional fine-tuning of the print mattress’s stage for improved print high quality.
I assembled it on my own, however at some levels, two further arms would have been useful, contemplating the dimensions and weight of the tools. I additionally made some rookie errors regardless of that isn’t the primary 3D printer I put collectively.
- Earlier than assembling, watch the construct tutorial video included on the USB stick.
- Set up the printhead solely after the Z-axis gantry is connected to the bottom unit. I discovered
- Don’t over-tighten the screws from the start.
- Examine that the cables aren’t caught beneath the screws or in the way in which of the shifting elements.
- Calibrate the print platform manually earlier than auxiliary ABL.
- Don’t panic in case your first print fails. Examine all of the screws, belt pressure, and curler wheels once more, then repeat the leveling course of.
The best way to improve the firmware on the Neptune 4 Max?
Being a brand new mannequin, firmware improve information aren’t obtainable but on the Elegoo obtain part, however you possibly can request them immediately from the producer. Mine arrived with firmware V126.96.36.199, and I up to date it to V188.8.131.52 that premise to repair some recognized points. After upgrading the firmware, the WIFI stopped working, producing new issues, too.
Upgrading the N4Max consists of two phases; first, you have to replace the firmware of the machine after which the software program of the LCD management panel.
- Essential Management Firmware and Machine Configuration Information:
- Copy the “ELEGOO_UPDATE_DIR” folder into the foundation of a USB stick
- Insert the stick into the Neptune 3 Max’s USB port
- GO to the settings menu and choose the “Data” (About machine) tab
- Click on the improve button arrow and make sure the firmware replace; after ending, the system will reload
- Contact Display Firmware Replace
- Copy the “UI_4&4Pro-Common” *.tft firmware file on a micro SD card (prior format it FAT32)
- Energy off the 3D printer
- Take away the again cowl of the LCD management unit and cargo the micro SD into the TF slot.
- Energy on the 3D printer, the display will present a standing bar of the improve course of.
- When completed, restart the machine.
|Printing know-how||Fused deposition modeling (FDM)|
|File switch||WIFI/WLAN/USB switch|
|Max printing velocity||500 mm/s|
|Extruder||Twin-gear direct extruder|
|Max nozzle temperature||300℃|
|Throat pipe||All-titanium alloy|
|Auto mattress leveling||11×11 (121 factors ABL)|
|Illumination||Z-axis: mild bar with 30 beads
Nozzle LED mild: Sure